Caring for children program

The Caring for Children Program ended on June 18, 2019. If you submitted a complete application before June 18, we’ll continue to process it.

We’re committed to making sure caregivers continue to have a pathway to permanent residence. If you’re a caregiver who has been caring for children in Canada, you may be eligible for the Home Child Care Provider Pilot.


If you have to give biometrics, we send you a biometric instruction letter (BIL) which will direct you to a list of biometric collection service points you may choose from.

You must bring the BIL with you to the biometric collection service point to give your biometrics.

Processing your application

An immigration officer will make sure that you:

  • filled out your application forms correctly and signed them
  • paid your fees
  • submitted your biometrics (if required)
  • meet the language requirements
  • provided proof of qualifying work experience
  • meet the education requirements, and
  • included all other required documents and information specified in the application package

If you’re currently working in Canada

If your application isn’t complete, it won’t be processed and will be sent back to you.

Your application will be delayed if:

  • there are criminal or security problems or we need to do more background checks
  • your family situation is not clear – reasons could include a divorce or an adoption that is not yet complete or child custody issues that have not been resolved, or
  • the processing office has to contact other IRCC offices in Canada or abroad to verify the data you gave

You can check the status of your application online after we’ve started processing your application.

While your application is in process, you must tell us if you change your address or contact information.

Processing time ?

6 Months

Processing time is the average for how long it takes from when an application is received to when we make a decision. Learn more about processing times.

Decision on your application

We’ll make a decision on your application based on:

  • whether you meet the eligibility criteria
  • if you submitted a complete application, and
  • if you are admissible to Canada

We’ll contact you if you need to send more documents.

Confirmation of permanent residence

If we approve your application, we’ll ask you to send your passport to the processing office so we can issue your permanent resident visa. This visa includes your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) and an entry visa, if you’re from a country whose nationals require a visa to enter Canada.

Your COPR will have information about who you are as well as your photograph. Check to make sure it’s correct. It should be the same as the information on your passport. If there’s a mistake on your COPR, contact us.

If you’re already in Canada

When we approve your application for permanent residence, we’ll contact you and let you know what to do next. You’ll have to do a short interview with an immigration officer. You have 2 options for your interview:

  • make an appointment at one of our offices in Canada
    • this is the best option because you won’t have to leave and re-enter Canada
  • go to a Canadian “port of entry” (border crossing), and present:
    • proof that you have the funds to support yourself and your family
    • your COPR and your permanent resident visa (if we gave you one)

During the interview, the officer will:

  • make sure all your documents are valid
  • ask you a few questions to make sure you still meet the terms to immigrate to Canada
  • confirm your Canadian mailing address, so we can mail your permanent resident card (PR card)

If you change your address or contact information within 180 days of completing your interview, you must tell us.

If you’re outside Canada

When you arrive in Canada, you’ll be greeted by an officer from the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA).

When you arrive, you must have:

  • a valid passport and/or travel documents
    • Your passport must be a regular, private passport. You can’t immigrate to Canada with a diplomatic, government service or public affairs passport.
  • a valid permanent resident visa and your COPR
    • The officer will make sure you’re entering Canada before or on the expiry date shown on your visa (this document cannot be extended)

The BSO will:

  • make sure all your documents are valid
  • see if you’re able to financially support yourself and your family members in Canada
  • ask you a few questions to make sure you still meet the eligibility requirements to immigrate to Canada
  • confirm your Canadian mailing address, so we can mail your permanent resident card (PR card)

You won’t be allowed into Canada:

  • if you give false or incomplete information or
  • if you don’t convince the officer that you meet the conditions to enter Canada

If you meet the requirements, the officer will allow you to enter Canada as a permanent resident. They will also confirm your Canadian mailing address and have your permanent resident card mailed to you there.

If you change your address or contact information within 180 days of arriving in Canada, you must tell us.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified:
Go Back
Educli - Global Education Network