Protection and assistance for victims of human trafficking


If you or someone you know is a victim of trafficking and you need help right away, please call:

  • the human trafficking hotline at 1-833-900-1010
  • your local police or
  • dial 911

Special temporary resident permit for victims

If you or someone you know is a victim of human trafficking without legal status in Canada, you may apply for a special temporary resident permit (TRP). This special permit gives you temporary immigration status in Canada for 180 days.

You don’t pay a fee.

Victims of human trafficking don’t pay a fee for an initial TRP or work permit.

If you’re issued a TRP, you can also get a work permit and health-care benefits.

We’ll issue you a TRP for many reasons, including to:

  • escape the influence of traffickers
  • give you time to decide whether you wish to return home
  • have time to recover from physical or mental trauma
  • assist with the investigation or prosecution of the traffickers

Depending on your situation, we may issue you another TRP at the end of the 180-day period.

Special considerations

In Canada, you don’t have to testify against your trafficker to get temporary or permanent resident status.

How to apply

Victims are mostly referred to us by law enforcement or non-governmental organizations.

You or your representative, who acts on your behalf, will need to fill out the necessary documents and submit a completed application to a local IRCC office.

The mandatory documents, include the:

Depending on your situation, you may also need to fill out and submit these forms:

You may need to be interviewed by an immigration officer, who will decide if you’ll get a temporary resident permit.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified:
Go Back
Educli - Global Education Network