Extend or change the conditions on your work permit: About the process


If you're working in Canada and want to stay permanently

Work permit holders in a health care, health services or other essential job may be eligible to apply for permanent residence. Find out if you're eligible.


From $155

Processing time

Due to COVID-19, we can’t provide accurate processing times.

Check your application status to get updates on

  • your application
  • where we’re at with processing during the pandemic

About the process

If you have a work permit that’s about to expire or that you need to change, you must apply to extend it or change the conditions on it.

You should apply to extend your work permit at least 30 days before your current permit expires.

Check the expiry date on your passport

You can’t extend your work permit beyond the expiry date of your passport. Make sure your passport won’t expire before the requested end date of your permit.

Maintain your status

If you apply to extend or change the conditions of your work permit before it expires, you’re legally allowed to stay in Canada while we process your application.

If your work permit expires while we process your application, find out if you can keep working.

If you don’t have a work permit

If you want to work in Canada temporarily, find out what you need to do.

If you want to stay in Canada permanently

You must qualify under one of the permanent resident categories.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified:
Go Back
Educli - Global Education Network