Visa conditions

If you are granted a visa, there are conditions that you must meet. These visa conditions are described below.

Entry permission

You must apply for entry permission when you arrive in New Zealand. You can do this by completing an arrival card, which you’ll be given on the way to New Zealand.

You can be refused entry permission if:

  • you don’t meet our character requirements
  • your circumstances have changed since you were granted a visa
  • you refuse to let us take your photo or to provide us with your fingerprints or an iris scan, if asked for them
  • you’re unable to provide evidence of any onward travel or funds required by the conditions of your visa.

Travelling to and arriving in New Zealand

Living with and caring for your child

You must live with and care for your child in New Zealand on a student visa.

If you withdraw your support or move away from your child, you may have to leave New Zealand.


After you arrive, you can travel in and out of New Zealand as many times as you like before your visa expires.

You must intend to visit your children or grandchildren in New Zealand.

Onward travel

Unless your visa label or letter says “Return/onward travel not required”, you must have either of the following:

  • a travel ticket to a country you can enter
  • an acceptable sponsor who can pay for your travel ticket out of New Zealand to a country you can enter.

Acceptable sponsors

Funds or sponsorship

You must have enough money to support yourself while you’re in New Zealand or have a sponsor.
Acceptable sponsors

Unless your visa label or letter states “Return/onward travel not required” you must have a ticket to leave New Zealand whenever you travel here.


You can’t

" target="_blank">work in New Zealand on this visa.


You can’t study in New Zealand.

You may be able to apply for a variation of conditions to allow you to study part-time.

Visa expiry

You must leave New Zealand before your visa expires.

You may be able to apply for another visa to stay longer, but you won’t be eligible for any of the following:

  • an Essential Skills Work Visa
  • a Specific Purpose or Event Work Visa
  • a Student Visa
Go Back
Educli - Global Education Network