Sponsor your parents and grandparents: How to apply

How to apply

If you’re invited to apply to sponsor your parents and grandparents, there are 2 applications:

  1. You must apply to become a sponsor.
  2. Your parents or grandparents must apply for permanent residence.

Submit both the sponsorship and the permanent residence applications together online at the same time.

You must submit your application within 60 days of the date of your invitation. The deadline is clearly shown on your invitation to apply letter.

The steps to apply to sponsor your parents and grandparents are a bit different for the 2021 process. We’ll invite people from the remaining pool of potential sponsors who submitted an interest to sponsor form in 2020.

If you’re invited to apply, we’ll email you using the email address on your 2020 interest to sponsor form.

If your email address has changed

If the email address you used to submit your interest to sponsor form in 2020 is no longer active, you’ll be able to add your new email address using the Find your lost confirmation number tool. We’ll post this tool when we finish sending invitations on October 7, 2021.

Step 1. Get an invitation to apply

We randomly select and invite potential sponsors to apply to sponsor their parents and grandparents. For the 2021 process, we’ll send enough invitations to apply to reach our goal of accepting 30,000 complete applications.

Step 2. Apply online

To avoid using outdated forms or an old instruction guide, don’t start filling out your application unless you’re invited to apply to the 2021 process.

If you can’t apply online because of a disability

If you can’t apply through the online application portal because of a disability, you can ask for a paper, braille or large print version of the application package. To do this, send an email send an email as soon as possible to and include

  • your full name
  • the full name of the sponsor
  • the confirmation number from the 2020 interest to sponsor form
  • that you’re asking for a paper format due to a disability of either the sponsor or the applicants (parents and grandparents)
  • your invitation to apply letter sent in September or October 2021
  • the language you prefer (English or French)
  • whether you want us to send the paper application by email or regular mail
    • include your email address if you want to receive the paper application electronically to print yourself (this will avoid potential mailing delays) or
    • include your mailing address if you want a paper copy sent to you

If you ask for the application by email, we’ll send you links to the application package, which you then can print.

Once we get your request, we’ll reply with instructions and tell you where to send your application. You must then fill out and sign the paper forms, and return the forms by mail or courier to the mailing address in our message.

To show that you were approved to submit a paper application, include a copy of the cover letter we sent approving you to apply on paper with your application.

We must get your paper application by the same deadline shown on your invitation to apply letter for the 2021 process.

For more information you can call 1-888-242-2100 (from within Canada only).

If you apply, but you were not invited to apply to the 2021 program, we’ll reject your application and won’t refund the sponsorship application processing fee.

If you live in Quebec, find out the steps to take to sponsor your parents and grandparents in Quebec.

The sponsor must fill out these PDF forms

When applying online, the sponsor must fill out the PDF forms below:

The sponsor must also

  • print and sign these forms by hand
  • give electronic copies of the signed forms to the person you’re sponsoring (principal applicant), who will
    • upload them to their online application
    • electronically sign for the entire application, including those of any other family members

Tips for downloading and filling out the application forms

  • Make sure you have Adobe Reader 10 or higher and Javascript is turned on. If you have trouble downloading, right-click the link and choose “Save Target As...”
  • Fill out the form on your computer instead of by hand. It’s easier and reduces mistakes that can cause delays.
  • Fill out, print, sign and date your application forms.

Use the Instruction Guide [IMM 5772] to help you fill out the forms properly.

The person being sponsored (principal applicant) must fill out these digital forms online

  • Generic Application Form for Canada [IMM 0008]
  • Schedule A – Background/Declaration [IMM 5669]
  • Additional Family Information [IMM 5406]
  • Supplementary Information – Your travels [IMM 5562]

You must also complete these PDF forms, if they apply to you, and upload to your online application

Using a representative

Note: While a representative can help you with your application, they cannot create a portal account or sign your application for you. Find out more about using a representative with the portal.

If you’re a representative, find out how you can create an account and submit applications on behalf of your clients.

If you want to appoint someone to do business with us on your behalf, you must

Helping your parents and grandparents with their application

You have to ask permission and provide the right forms if you want to

  • prepare or help prepare your parents’ and grandparents’ application and communicate with us on their behalf
  • check on their application status

Find out how to act as a representative or access your family members’ information.

How to find your Canadian citizenship information

If you’re a Canadian citizen, to sponsor your parents or grandparents, you need

  • the date you became a Canadian citizen
  • your unique client identifier (UCI) or client ID number

To find the date and the number, check the back of your citizenship certificate.

If you don’t have your citizenship certificate, you can apply for a

If you can’t get proof of your citizenship within the 60-day period you have to apply, you can include an explanation letter saying

  • why you don’t have it and
  • what steps you’ve taken to get it

Details for the person being sponsored

Sign in or create a Permanent Residence Portal account.

Get your fingerprints and photo taken

If you’re between 14 and 79 years old, you need to give your fingerprints and photo (biometrics) for every application for permanent residence you submit, even if you gave your biometrics in the past and they’re still valid.

  • You must pay the biometric fee when you submit your application. Otherwise, you may experience delays.
  • Get this done as soon as you get the letter from us that tells you to give biometrics.
  • You have 30 days to do this from the date on the letter.

Photo specifications

You need one photo for each person on your application.

Follow the instructions in the online application to scan and upload both sides of your photo.

Step 3. Pay your application fees

In most cases, your fees will include:

You have to pay your fees online(opens in a new tab) .

Biometrics fee

In most cases, you must pay a biometrics fee when you submit your application. If you don’t your application may be delayed. The biometrics fee covers the cost of collecting fingerprints and a digital photo.

Third party fees

Depending on your situation, you may need to pay third parties for

The instruction guide can help you understand which fees apply to you.

Step 4. Submit your online application

Before you submit your application, make sure you

  • answer all questions
  • electronically sign your application (type your full name exactly as shown on your passport)
  • include your processing fee receipt
  • upload all the supporting documents
    • include your letter of invitation to the 2021 program and choose “other” as the document type

If your application is incomplete, we’ll return it to you by email. You’ll have to fix any errors and then resubmit it by the deadline shown on your invitation to apply letter.

Step 5. Send us additional information during processing

During processing, we’ll ask the person you’re sponsoring to submit their

  • medical exams
  • police certificates
    • You don’t have to include police certificates when you apply. We’ll ask you for them later in the process.
    • You need a police certificate for the people being sponsored and each family member 18 or older (who isn’t already a Canadian citizen or permanent resident).
    • Police certificates are generally valid for 1 year from the date they’re issued.
      • Depending on processing times, we may ask you for new certificates.
  • biometrics
    • When the biometrics fee is paid, we’ll send your family members a letter asking them to give their biometrics.
    • Your family members must show this letter when they give their biometrics.
    • They have 30 days to give their biometrics in person at their closest collection point.

COVID-19: Changes to biometrics requirements and collection procedures

Temporary measures have been put into place for biometrics requirements and collection procedures.

Find out what to do for your biometrics

We’ll send instructions and let your family members know how much time they have to send us this information.

You must tell us of any change to your situation, such as:

  • birth or adoption of children
  • marriage or divorce
  • death of an applicant or dependant

Step 6. Get updates about your application online

If you and the person you are sponsoring meet the eligibility requirements, we’ll mail or email you a request to link your application to an online account.

Find out how to link your application to your account after you create an account or sign in.

 Having trouble? See the top questions about linking your application in the Help Centre.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified:
Go Back
Educli - Global Education Network