Visa conditions

If you are granted a visa, there are conditions that you must meet. These visa conditions are described below.

Entry permission

Your child must apply for entry permission when they arrive in New Zealand. They can do this by completing an arrival card, which they’ll be given on the way to New Zealand.

The children can be refused entry permission if:

  • they don’t meet our character requirements
  • their circumstances have changed since they were granted a visa
  • they refuse to let us take a photo or provide us with their fingerprints or an iris scan, if asked for them.

Travelling to and arriving in New Zealand


If the children want to travel in and out of New Zealand, they must have valid multiple entry travel conditions to return to New Zealand.

If you’re applying from inside New Zealand, we’ll normally give your children multiple entry travel conditions when we grant them a Student Visa.

If your children don’t have multiple entry travel conditions and they leave New Zealand, their visa will expire.

Your child’s travel conditions will be listed on their visa label, or in a visa letter

Onward travel (children of work visa holders)

Dependent children of work visa holders must have the means to leave New Zealand at all times during their visit. This can be in the form of any of the following:

  • a travel ticket
  • enough money to buy a travel ticket
  • a financial undertaking
  • sponsorship by an acceptable sponsor.

Acceptable sponsors

If your child’s visa label or letter doesn’t say ‘Return/onward ticket not required’ or ‘The holder of this visa is sponsored’, they may be asked for evidence of their travel arrangements when they check in or arrive in New Zealand.

Funds or sponsorship (children of student visa holders)

You must have enough money to support your child while they’re in New Zealand, or the child must have a sponsor or guarantor.

If your child’s visa label or letter doesn’t say ‘Financial evidence not required’ or ‘The holder of this visa is sponsored’, we may ask for evidence of funds when they arrive in New Zealand.


School-aged children can study at primary or secondary school.

If your child wishes to study at a Tertiary Education Commission   

" target="_blank">tertiary education institute, they’ll need to apply for a Fee Paying Student Visa.

Fee Paying Student Visa


Students studying in year 12 or 13, the last 2 years of secondary school can work up to 20 hours a week during the school year and full-time in the Christmas and New Year holiday period between school years.

  • Students under 18 must have written permission from their school, and parents or legal guardian to work.
  • Students over 18 don’t need permission to work in the summer holidays.

When you have a job in New Zealand, you have to pay tax on your earnings. You’ll need to have a New Zealand bank account and an IRD number to do this.

For an IRD number, contact Inland Revenue

" target="_blank">Inland Revenue.

We don’t grant work rights to students under 16.

The children aren’t allowed to be self-employed. They have to work as an employee with an employment agreement and not as an independent contractor.

Visa expiry

The child must leave New Zealand before their visa expires.

Visa expiry dates are printed on a visa label, or included in a visa letter.

Go Back
Educli - Global Education Network