Student Visa Requirements | Study Abroad Education Consultants

Many students consider Australia as their country to study abroad because you can study and also work. Although there is rules, conditions and procedures to be aware of. Eduspace will help you to understand some very important points with this post:


If you have a student visa, you will be eligible to work while in Australia. Please remember your right to work is tied to several conditions. Some of these include:

Not starting to work until you have commenced your course of study.

Working a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight during the term and unlimited hours when your course is not in session.

You may only work if the Department of Home Affairs considers your course to be ‘in session’ – that means, for the duration of the advertised semesters (including periods when exams are being held).

For a full list of mandatory and discretionary student visa conditions, visit


There are many different ways to find a job in Australia. The majority of jobs vacant in Australia are advertised online. Visit:

In addition, the International Office of your institution may have more suggestions. Newspapers: Visit to see a listing of the major Australian newspapers. You can select your state or territory to browse a database of Australian regional newspapers. Local newspapers have a ‘help wanted’ or jobs section. University job boards: Most Australian universities have a careers service office with a job board listing local employment opportunities. The Australian Government also has a listing of job boards in Australia at


International students often find work in retail, hospitality and administration. The wage you receive will depend on the kind of work you do and your age. You may be paid more for working on Sundays or public holidays.


Anyone who works in Australia has to pay taxes and the amount of tax you pay depends on how much you earn. The Australian tax system is administered through the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). You are obliged to obtain a Tax File Number (TFN) to be able to work in Australia. A TFN is your unique reference number to the Australian tax system. When you start work, your employer will ask you to complete a TFN declaration form. If you do not provide a TFN, your employment will be taxed at the highest personal income tax rate, which means less money in your net wages each week. For more information, go to


If you pay too much in taxes you are entitled to a refund. To get a refund you will need to lodge a tax return. You can lodge online using e-tax (free); by mailing a paper tax return; or by paying a registered tax agent to complete and lodge the return for you. If you lodge by e-tax, your refund will normally be issued within 14 days. Tax returns are lodged at the end of the Australian tax year, which runs from 1 July to 30 June. Lodge online using e-tax at


1. Group Certificate (issued by your employer)

2. Tax File Number

3. Copy of passport and visas

4. Account Details

5. Address

6. Phone Number

7. What occupation did you work as

8. What course do/did you study

9. Keep receipts for work related expenses

10. Previous year tax return receipt (tax deductible expense)


Superannuation is the pension/retirement scheme in Australia. If your monthly wage is more than A$450, your employer must contribute an additional sum equal to 9.5% of your wage into a superannuation account for you. In most cases, you can access your contributions when you leave Australia permanently, although the contributions will be taxed. To check your eligibility to claim superannuation, and to apply for your payment, visit You will need to provide the details of your superannuation fund.

Travel, Exchange, Education
Living Abroad
Previous Entries
Next Entries
Recommended Posts